Saturday, October 1, 2011

We did not pass freedom along to our children in the bloodstream

On March 30th, 1961, Ronald Reagan stood before the Chamber of Commerce in Phoenix, Arizona, and gave what has come to be known as his "Encroaching Control" speech. Here is how he closed his speech:

Our Founding Fathers, here in this country, brought about the only true revolution that has ever taken place in man's history. Every other revolution simply exchanged one set of rulers for another set of rulers. But only here did that little band of men so advanced beyond their time that the world has never seen their like since, evolve the idea that you and I have within ourselves the God-given right and the ability to determine our own destiny. But freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. The only way they can inherit the freedom we have known is if we fight for it, protect it, defend it and then hand it to them with the well thought lessons of how they in their lifetime must do the same. And if you and I don't do this, then you and I may well spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it once was like in America when men were free.

Thank You


This is similar to other speeches he gave, such as his Operation Coffee Cup speech. But I find this one to be the most pointed, and even his most important because of this ending. Freedom isn't the natural state of things. We all must do our part to make sure that freedom is protected. I knew for quite some time that these words were attributed to Reagan. I was very happy to see that an audio recording of it exists.

This speech is available on You Tube, but the audio track seems damaged to me. You can download the speech here, which I encourage everybody to do. It's sad that this speech has been somewhat lost in the sands of time.

The preceding posting is what appears to be the entire transcript from this webpage, I didn't sit and simultaneously listen/read to the whole thing to verify, but at times I went back and forth and it does appear to follow. It was the one and only transcript I could find, and I'd like to make sure this person's hard work is not lost. I would attribute this person by name, but they don't give their name. To whomever did this, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment